We have spent, and do spend, a lot of time maintaining and updating this AMI. We offer it for free because we love the idea of a completely free place for people to try out, or host their Ghost blog for an extended period of time. If you go through the install and enjoy Ghost and the AMI we created, please consider donating through our PayPal link at the bottom of this post. Either way, enjoy Ghost and hopefully our AMI will save you some time :).
- Head over to the Amazon Web Services site and sign up using your existing amazon account or create one.
- Go ahead and enter in your payment information. The way the Amazon free tier works is that if you go over a certain threshold they will charge you, but what we are setting up will be free and remain that way unless you get a lot of hits or server side data use Amazon EC2 Free Tier details
- Verify by phone and then on the next page, verify through your email once it arrives.
- Once you click the link in the email you got, go ahead and go to the AWS Management Console.
- Click on EC2 on the left side and wait for that email to come through (from previous setups I have had the email take anywhere from minutes to an hour to arrive).
- Once you get the email and your access to EC2 has been allowed, head to our Amazon AWS Marketplace page and click Continue.
- Along the left hand side select which region you want your EC2 instance to be in and what SSH Key Pair you want deployed on the server. Then click Launch with 1-Click.
- In the confirmation window click on the AWS Management Console link
- Once your instance has an Instance State of “running” you will be able to browse to your Ghost instance and SSH into your server if you want to. Select your EC2 instance from the list and grab your Amazon EC2 Public DNS address.
- You can now enter that web address into a browser and you will see your Ghost blog up and running!
Your Ghost blog is up and running, so if you want to just test it out, thats great go ahead and use it. If you want to do some additional steps for added security, here are some common ones:
SSH into your EC2 instance: ssh -i /path/to/amazon/key.pem ec2-user@[public-dns]
If you get the error: bad permissions: ignore key: /Users/davidb/Desktop/key.pem
Permission denied (publickey). Do the following command
sudo chmod 600 /path/to/amazon.pem
We hope this article helped you get your Ghost blog running on a free EC2 instance. For feature requests or feedback on our Amazon AMI please leave us a comment below.
It takes us a good amount of time to maintain this Amazon AMI and we would appreciate any donations if you feel so inclined! You can use the PayPal Donation button below and donate any amount. Thanks!